Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jeep, Provisions, Conch, Credit

Yesterday - Jeep Thrills.  Rented a POS jeep for 24 hours. Drove (with Eden & Chris) around the island. Beaches. Sunshine. Green water. Sea caves. Grocery run into the "settlement" of Bullock Harbor (too small to be called a town or village). "Hosted" a sundown get-together on Ihana, with Eden & Chris from the P.S.Dana, and Gary & Christelle from the trawler.  Ate so much that we settled for a light supper.  Another wonderful day.

Today - Conch salad. Local fisherman down the dock made a fresh conch salad for us - raw conch, onions, tomatoes, lime, orange, peppers, whatever.  Sort of like a conch ceviche. Saved it for dinner tonight.  The Ilona and Eden hiked into town (1.5 miles 1-way), since we needed more ketchup. (WTF?) Chris is working on his boat.  I'm on island time, as usual.

Yesterday's Breakage Report - our credit card!  Seems the Visa company decided to mail us new credit cards (to Minnesota where we can't get them) - and cancelled our current cards (which were supposed to expire in October).  Nice.  Good thing we have some cash stash so we could pay for the diesel fuel.  Dealing with bank and credit card companies is really fun when we have only expensive phone calls possible to the USA using our Bahamas cell phone, and occasional lousy Internet. And you all know how well Customer "Service" works over the phone.  Supposedly our bank is working to get new credit cards to us.  Fortunately we have a spare card from another company.  


I sure wish I had known that this might happen before we left home; I would then have carried more cash instead of credit cards – our history with bank credit cards is that there is much less danger in us being robbed of cash by people than of having our credit cards inactivated by the bank and credit card companies! Really - our card has been inactivated many times while we were traveling over the past several years: "Someone used your card in AZ, CA, KS, FL, Bahamas, ... - must be fraud." No, you idiots - we told you where and when we were going - it's us.  [Additional expletives deleted.]  I suggest you be nowhere near our local home bank when we return - it WILL be ugly. I promise.

No comments: