Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Ching story, interesting sideline

Back around 1970, we were living in Central Wisconsin. The Ilona was about to leave Grand Rapids, Michigan, driving home alone in a big car with a transmission that was on the endangered-species list. She was very concerned that the car would break down on her way back home. And she was going to drive around the south end of Lake Michigan, through Chicago of all places! She called me (at home) and asked what she should do. I told her I would check and call her right back. So, it being the 60s-70s era, I immediately consulted the I Ching for advice (yeah, I know, but things were strange in those days.) I used the appropriate random-hexagram generator, looked up my forecast, and read: "It furthers one to cross the great water." Shazam! Wowzer! Of course. Drive to Ludington (short drive), take the car ferry across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc (avoiding hundreds of miles, and Chicago), and then you are only a few hours from home (and I can come and get you if necessary!). True story. Happy ending - she and the car made it home. I since junked the car, kept the wife.

No comments: